And just like that it is October. I’ve been seeing this quote everywhere from one of my favourite childhood heroes about being glad to live in a world where there are Octobers (Anne of Green Gables FYI.) I couldn’t agree more, not only is October my birth month, it is also spring and the gentle decline to Christmas. Three cheers for October…
Anyway, you may recall me telling you about a few run-ins I have had with pests in the flat this year (not talking about my flatmates :P) First there were the pantry moths, then the mice and just last week, the bed bugs.
Well that’s not all.
I made some sauerkraut on Friday night and left it out on the bench overnight so it could ferment and do it’s thang. When I checked on it the next morning I discovered hundreds of ants marching up and down the counter-top towards my bowl of sauerkraut.
I didn’t realize that sauerkraut was a delicacy for ants.
Well, I managed to scrape most of them off the bowl but some unfortunate folk got swept into the jars to ferment too.
So this got me thinking…you know how cricket protein has become the latest thing? (People are weird right.) I wondered how much protein was in an ant…
Turns out quite a lot! And that’s not all… they are also pretty high in iron and calcium. What do you know. Anyone keen for some high protein sauerkraut? I’m sure there is a market out there somewhere for this!
My Monday must-reads:
- How your thoughts can destroy a relationship. – Oops I do this ALL the time.
- No one cares how much you weigh.
- 10 non-food ways to treat yourself.
- Please do not love quietly. – Amen. The world needs more love.
- The social aspects of eating.
- 13 unexpected ways to have fun in your 20’s. – Adulting isn’t all doom and gloom.
- What is real worship? – Real worship comes from the heart.
- A prayer for patience.
- Enduring the uncertainty of dating. – Love isn’t always easy.
- You’ll always be waiting for something, learn to wait well.
- Embracing pits and comparing fruit. – I love this analogy.
- Some ‘healthy’ products that kinda suck. – Just eat real food.
- Does being refined sugar free make you healthy?
- Simple lentil meatballs. – Honest to goodness these look like real meat.
- Easy noodle ramen soup. – Way better than grotty instant noodles.
- Sweet potato gnocchi.
Happy reading everyone.
Now tell me…
Have you ever tricked someone into eating something vegetarian?
What did you do in the weekend?